Hospets is a Unique Program Serving Central Ohio
Hospets serves senior citizens and hospice patients with pets, with the goal of keeping the pet and the person together as long as possible.
Pet ownership provides enormous health and emotional benefits for seniors. The presence of a pet is the strongest social predictor of survival and pet ownership is especially important in increasing interest in life – pets give the elderly something to care for, as well as providing an opportunity for exercise and socialization.
While pet ownership brings great reward, there are also expenses.
Hospets can help!
- Transporting pets to grooming and veterinary appointments
- Assisting with pet food, pet medications, grooming, and basic veterinary services if owners are facing financial difficulties
- Transporting pets to assisted living facilities for visits (if allowed)
- Providing emergency respite care for the pet should the owner need to be hospitalized
- Offering pre-planning placement and assisting owners with finding new, loving homes for their pets
- Resources for low cost spay and neuter, as well as vaccines
- Providing a 24/7 Emergency/on call pet caregiving until family can take ownership of a pet (contacting Hospets before a crisis is crucial)