Hospets is a New and Unique Program Serving Central Ohio
Hospets serves senior citizens and hospice patients with pets, with the goal of keeping the pet and the person together as long as possible.
Pet ownership provides enormous health and emotional benefits for seniors. The presence of a pet is the strongest social predictor of survival and pet ownership is especially important in increasing interest in life – pets give the elderly something to care for, as well as providing an opportunity for exercise and socialization.
While pet ownership brings great reward, there are also expenses.
Hospets can help!
- Transporting pets to grooming and veterinary appointments
- Assisting with pet food, pet medications, grooming, and basic veterinary services if owners are facing financial difficulties
- Transporting pets to assisted living facilities for visits (if allowed)
- Providing emergency respite care for the pet should the owner need to be hospitalized
- Offering pre-planning placement and assisting owners with finding new, loving homes for their pets
- Cleaning litter boxes, walking and general grooming
- Offering low cost spay and neuter, as well as vaccines
- Providing a 24/7 Emergency/on call pet caregiving until family can take ownership of a pet (contacting Hospets before a crisis is crucial)
By The Numbers
Hospets mission is to provide pet care assistance to senior citizens in order to keep the pet and the person together as long as possible and to keep the pet from entering the animal shelter system. While the numbers show great success, what they can’t show is how lives have been improved physically, emotionally and in terms of longevity.
Often a pet is a senior’s sole companion and when they lose their pet, the senior often goes into a downward spiral and we end up losing the senior not long after the pet is gone. We are very honored to be able to play a role in improving the life of the senior citizen and the pets.
2016 – July 2017
|Total Intake Dogs||355|
|Temporary Respite Care||214|
|Died in Care||2|
|Still in care as of 8/17||1|
|Total Intake Cats||60|
|Temporary Respite Care||18|
|Died in Care||0|
|Still in care as of 8/17||6|
|Low Cost Spay/Neuter||220|
|Flea & Tick Prevention||800|
|Pet Food||14,400 pounds|
|Peace of Mind||❤ Priceless|